Friday 8 July 2016

The Intern Files | How to get a fashion internship


September is fast approaching! And that means the start of the new school year, finding an internship, maybe moving to attend school and even finding a new job. So with all that said, the program I'm attending requires a mandatory internship to be completed before you graduate. However, I want to try to do as many as I can and gain lots of valuable experience. I found a fashion internship that I will be starting in September. I want to share how I got mine and help others who need one to find one as well.

First, before applying to any internship (or job) you need to have a killer resume and cover letter (even a portfolio if you want to work in a creative industry). I have researched a lot about resumes. Here are my discoveries:

  • your resume should only be one page. It is easier for the hiring manager to keep track of one page and not worry about losing the other page if you had two
  • you want your resume to stand out from the boring black and white pile. Add some colour, but don't go overboard. Check out Pinterest for some inspiration on how to make a more creative, stand out resume.

Next, you need to be on LinkedIn. Make a profile and add relevant education, work or volunteer experience, that is applicable to what you want to do in the future. Then, you want to connect with people you know; friends, family, coworkers, and classmates. After that you could connect with HR or management from companies you would want to work for or just keep them in mind for future messaging about internship information or questions.

After making the perfect resume and a stand out LinkedIn Profile, the third thing I am going to tell you to do is to check out Lauren Berger's Intern Queen. Her website is filled with internships from all over North America and even virtual internships. I recommend checking out the website, following her on social media and watching her YouTube videos. I am subscribed to her channel and she posts amazing and helpful content; I mean she is an expert.


How did I get my Internship?
I got my internship by first creating a one page, creative resume with current information relevant for fashion industry internships. Secondly, I updated my LinkedIn profile. Next, I started searching on Intern Queen for fashion internships in Toronto. I also had subscribed to Lauren's YouTube Channel and started to watch her videos; Don't want to sound repetitive, however, they are extremely helpful.


After I found an internship  that caught my eye, I ended up connecting with the person who posted the internship on LinkedIn, (the company founder.) After I connected with her, she reached out and asked how I discovered her. I said though the internship posting and she replied with, "Are you thinking of applying." I said, "not for the summer term but, for my fall semester for school credit."

A couple of months later, I followed up on LinkedIn, sent her my official application (my one-page resume) and we set up a meeting to discuss details and a start date. At the short meeting, we discussed the company and what it is all about, the start date, where I would work and what I would be doing. And the rest is history I start my fashion business internship in September at Ms. Dress Up Inc., with Natalie and words cannot describe my excitement.

xoxo,
Lisa-Marie

Let's stay in touch!

Instagram // @lisamariekiss.blog
Twitter // @lisamariekiss
Facebook // @lisamariekiss.blog
Bloglovin' // lisa-marie kiss
SHARE:

2 comments

  1. So helpful!! I am currently doing and internship as part of my studies as well and it was so hard for me to find a good one.. I wish I had known about InternQueen when I applied :)
    Love from Boston,
    Charlotte Luisa | bycharlotteluisa.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am so happy my post helped you! Your comment made my day :)

      Delete

© Lisa-Marie Kiss. All rights reserved.
BLOGGER TEMPLATE MADE BY pipdig